1) Use Sun block with a SPF of 30 or higher. SPF 30 provides protection for most of the day. For example if you get sun burn in 10 minutes, SPF 30 will protect you for 300 minutes. If you use SP 15, you will be protected from the sun for 150 minutes.
2) Make sure to use a broad spectrum sunblock. Broad spectrum sun blocks protect both UVA and UVB rays. UVA rays are present even when there is no sun and can lead to skin cancers. UVB rays are present when there is sun light out. People tan with UVB and UVB causes sun burn and also cancer if the skin in not protected.
3) Be sure to reapply sun block early and often. Water breaks down sun block even if the product is water proof. The sun will also break down your sun block over time. Reapply sun block at least once every hour if you are out in a pool. Be sure to use your sun screen daily.
4) Be sure to apply sun block even if you are just resting in the shade away from sun light. This is because UVA rays are present even when there is no direct sun light.
5) Be sure to avoid sun block that contain oxybenzone, a toxic sunscreen that soaks into the skin which might be a contributing factor to skin cancer. Instead look for sunscreen that contains Zinc Oxide or Titanium oxide.
6) Buy new sun screen every year. Most sun screen do not protect as well after 12 months because the ingredients start to lose the amount of sun protection that they can give.
7) Take a break at Midday. Midday or peak sun is also a good time to get out of the sun and take a break indoors. The sun is strongest at this point. The sun is strongest between 12:00PM and 3:00PM.
8) Wear UV sunglasses to protect your eyes, hat to protect your scalp and tight shirt to protect your body from the sun.
9) Take special care when going to the beach. Sun block may need to be reapplied more frequently since the sand and the water reflect the sun creating a stronger UVB ray. Higher altitudes also gives the sun more intensity.
10) Be sure to drink plenty of water. This keeps your skin hydrated and improves the protection of your sun block.
To view a list of the top 10 sunblocks click this link.